Friday, August 1, 2014

the damage: July!

At the end of each month this year I am planning to pause to take a look at my spending as it's related to my closet. I call these posts "the damage." Each month my target budget is $300 and only 5 pieces of clothing or shoes. I chose 5 items because I am working on making my closet a more curated place and also to try to put an end to the constant closet clean outs where loads of clothes get sent to charity. Not that there is anything wrong with giving clothes to charity, it's just that I hope to make my clothes last longer in general. For some this budget may sound like a lot and for others it may not... for me personally this is my monthly goal. It works for my budget and lifestyle and doesn't break the bank. Shopping budgets are a personal thing, but I share mine here to show how I stretch my budget and work to create a well curated and fully stocked closet.

I have to say that I have pretty miserably failed the "5 pieces" challenge for 2014.  I made the challenge on a whim and to say that I have had a hard time sticking to it is an understatement.  Not sure how I feel about that (okay with it or disappointed in myself) but it is what it is I suppose.  July is always a big shopping month for me with my birthday and with summer sales when summer is hardly over and this year was no exception. Let's take a look at the pieces…

J.Crew, "masterpiece tee", $49.50 on sale $19.99 (sold out, but similar)
J.Crew, Bateau Striped Shirt,  $45 on sale $20.99
Gap, Scalloped Shorts, $39.95 on sale $29.97
J.Crew, White Embroidered Tunic, $98 on sale $ 41.99
J.Crew, Striped Maxi Dress, $110 on sale $53.99
Kendra Scott, Elle Earring, $52
Sam Edelman, Pacific Ankle Boots, $159.95 on sale $99.90
J.Crew, Cleo Loafer, $145 on sale $53.99
Gap, Boyfriend Gingham Top, $49.95 on sale $29.97

Total Spent: $402.79 (saved $346.56)

Birthday Gifts (not counted in the budget…)
*Warby Parker, "Banks" Sunglasses, $95
*J.Crew, Horn Hobo Bag, $268.00

Thoughts on the budget:  For all the pieces I got I think $400 is fair… I actually saved almost 50% across the board. Not bad!  The birthday gifts were from my husband and not included in the budget. But I included them here because otherwise I know you gals will notice these new pieces in outfits and wonder… you gals are on top of it!

Thoughts on the pieces: The sale items from J.Crew were especially good deals… and were on pieces that I had already had my eye on, so getting them on sale is a total bonus.  It's definitely fun to add some new summer pieces mid season to keep things fresh and these pieces have already gotten a lot of wear.  The boots and Kendra Scott earrings were little birthday gifts to myself - boots were too good to pass up with the Nordstrom Sale and I can't wait to wear them this fall.  Then a few random Gap pieces are thrown in there as well - they are pieces I found while shopping for my kids.  The Gap's late summer line was actually quite impressive (they've been a little ho-hum lately) and I love these two pieces… one fun pair of shorts and a gingham top that will be sure to get tons of wear.  Over all a great month for shopping!  Look for all of these pieces in outfit photos soon!

Do you track your shopping budget too? If so, leave a little link in the comments… I would love to see what you snagged this month!



 

site design by kiki co.